Canon is one of the most reliable and well-known brands manufacturing printers. Even though Canon is the best in its field but that doesn’t make their printers fully error-free. Simply like any other printer, numerous problems have been reported by Canon users from time to time. Today we are going to converse about one of the most common error issues of Canon printer which is the Canon printer error 5100. In this article, I am going to list the causes & solutions of the error.
Causes for Canon Printer Error 5100
There could be many causes which forcing your printer to display the Canon printer error 5100 notification. These include:
- This may be because of paper jam inside the machine
- The ink tank might require to be correctly installed
- The protective material might be avoiding the print head from moving suitably.
- This may be also due to debris in the carriage head
- A minor glitch arises because of improper boot-up or shut down process.
Solution for Canon Printer Error 5100
Regrettably, Canon error 5100 signifies a hardware problem in your printer. If the error is the result of a bad motor/gear/belt, bent / damaged rail, or a bad print, there is nothing you can do except replace the item directly. But, if the problem is the result of some faulty setting or cleaning of related stuff, then we have provided some solutions that you can use to solve the problem. Thus, without wasting any more time lets go to the main topic.
Solution #1: Reset Printer and Reseat the Ink Cartridges
If the Canon error 5100 begins occurring after you alter the ink cartridges then it is feasible that the cartridges are not suitably seated in the position. In this situation, you require to remove the cartridge and then reinstall it in its position again to fix the issue. If you don’t know how to suitably install a cartridge, then follow the mentioned below steps carefully:
- Initially, turn off the Canon printer and then separate the power cable from the power outlet.
- Now, Switch on the Power button while you plug the cable back in.
- Subsequently, click the Stop/Reset button twice while holding down the power button. By executing this step you will be able to activate the factory mode of your printer.
- Now, use the navigation key from your printer’s control panel to get the Shipping Mode 3 on the LCD display. Once you find it click the Ok button to choose the option.
- Subsequently trying to print a test page by clicking the “Stop/Reset” button when you see the “Without Cleaning” notification.
- Now gently lift the Canon printer cover and wait for the cartridge to move to the left. Once the cartridges move to the left remove the plug of the printer from the outlet.
- After that, lift out both ink cartridges and then shut the cover before you turn on the printer.
- Then wait till you view the message that says Replace Cartridges and once its dose reinstall the cartridge back in its place
- Subsequently, wait a few minutes until the printer recognizes the cartridges.
Solution #2: Clean the Printhead
It can also be feasible that you are facing the Canon printer error 5100 issue because of clogged nozzles. In this situation, you have to run a nozzle check to fix this specific error. You can also clean the print heads if essential. Once completed, try to examine the status of the printer. This time, surely, you will be able to resolve the matter with your device. If you don’t know how to run an automated tool to clean the printhead, then follow the steps listed below:
- Initially, load plain white paper in the input tray.
- After that, touch the button next to the Setup icon in the lower-left corner of the control panel of the Canon printer.
- Next, use the navigation key to choose Tools, and then touch OK.
- Subsequently, use the Right Arrow button to choose Clean Printhead, and once again click OK. Once you do that, the printer will begin the automatic cleaning process.
After implementing the above steps, examine the printhead with the help of the test page. If you are yet getting the Canon 5100 issue, then follow the instructions to run a second-level clean. You might require to clean the printhead numerous times to solve the issue.
Solution #3: Fix the Alignment (For Mac)
If the problem is occurring after you install a new cartridge, then it is feasible Canon error 5100 issue prompted because of the wrong alignment. To resolve the issue with the alignment, you can implement the steps mentioned below:
- Initially, load a few sheets in the Canon printer and then turn On your computer.
- From the System Preferences of your computer, open the ‘Print & Scan’ to choose your Canon printer
- Now, select the ‘Options & Supplies’ option for the printer and next choose Utility.
- Subsequently, open Printer Utility to choose Print Head Alignment and then click Next.
- Next, choose Print to print an alignment sheet and then check the printed pattern.
- Now, follow the instructions on the screen to select the number representing the best-printed pattern for each set, and after selecting each pattern number click Next. But, if no patterns are aligned in one or more of the sets, select the closest one in each set and tap Realignment.
- After that, print another alignment sheet and examine it and once you get your desired result click on the Finish button to complete the alignment.
Solution #4: Check the Tape of the Cartridges
If the Canon printer error 5100 issue is occurring after the installation of a new cartridge and if there is no issue such as a wrong alignment or a wrong seating of cartridge, then the next thing you must do is check the Cartridge Tape of your new Canon ink cartridge. The new cartridges of Canon are generally equipped with a protective plastic strip to avoid ink from spilling. Most of the new users forget to take off this protective plastic from the cartridge which finally causes the Canon 5100 issue. Thus, if you find that the tape is yet in the cartridge, then you have to remove it in order to fix the issue.
Solution #5: Check for Jammed Papers
Paper jamming is an extremely common issue among all brands of printer. It is also one of the major causes for triggering error code 5100. Thus, when you get the 5100 error issue, you can also check if the paper gets stuck into your printer or not.
To examine it, simply open the printer from the back panel. If it is really stuck then clear out the entire jammed paper immediately. If the jam paper issue is worrying you still, then it is feasible that you are using the wrong paper size for your printer. To get the right paper size information of your printer you can check the manual.
Solution #6: Clean the Timing Film
If none of the above methods work for you to fix the issue, then your last option will be to clean the timing film of your printer. According to the users review many people able to fix the Canon 5100 issue by cleaning this film. In case you don’t know what timing film is then, it is a thin piece of plastic that runs across the width of the device under the drive belt. For some cause, if it got dirty by a little then your printer will stop printing and show the 5100 error problem.
In this situation, just use a damp lint-free paper towel and wipe the entire dirt from the film. Once you have cleaned the strip, plug the device back again and check the status of the error.
Dial Canon Printer Support Number for instant solution:
We wish that after following the above-mentioned steps, you would have easily fixed Canon printer error 5100 easily. If not so or you are unable to fix it because of any reason. No need to worry at all, dial Canon Printer Support Number to get in touch with professional experts who will instantly resolve the issue. They will provide you step by step instructions so that you may fix the issue of your own.
You can also watch our video to solve your problem very easily: